[Dailydrool] This and that

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 05:59:46 PST 2014

We have a mouse. In the house! I have wondered for a week if we had a
visitor because the Houndettes had tracked something into the DH's
drum room several mornings recently when I open the gate. I asked them
why they hadn't caught it while it was in the family room with them
but they just gave me a disdainful look that said they were busy
sleeping and couldn't be bothered. Unfortunately the mouse isn't
staying downstairs. It has found the kitchen cupboards so it's gotta
go. The cupboards are now empty and disinfected and a couple of traps
are set so I hope we can get rid of the critter very soon! Sorry
folks. Mice are fine outside but they have to die if they come inside
here.

The mastiffs visited all weekend while my daughter was in a tournament
so we have had lots of drool to sling to all in need. Our older
mastiff, Brutus, will turn twelve in the spring and is slowly
declining. He has severe arthritis and we're keeping him comfortable
with a combo of NSAIDS and Tramadol but I can see that he is really
starting to struggle when he gets up from lying down. I'm praying that
my daughter's vet has something up her sleeve to give us some more
time with our big boy. Her mastiffs are her children and Brutus is her
first. This winter has been brutal for anyone, dog or man, who has any
joint issues. I know I feel like I'm 100 some days! I posted some
pictures of Brutus and Jersey snuggling together on my facebook page
if you'd like to look. You'll find us under Jane Wightman Hay if you'd
like to see them.

Jersey continues to stay stable. We have started titrating the steroid
down and now my vet says we have to change her food to a
hypoallergenic food that can cost upwards of $100/bag. I had thought
I'd switch everyone over to whatever she had to start on but it isn't
going to happen at that price. They're on an excellent fish based
grain free food as it is so there really isn't any need to change. I
just thought it'd be easier to have everyone on the same food. NOT!
I'm doing a little research with the pet store where we buy the
Houndettes grain free food and I'm hoping we can find something
comparable that costs a little less. I had no idea the hypoallergenic
food would be that expensive! WOW!

I checked Suncoast's status this morning and they're still squeaking
by in second place but just barely. Please vote every day. You can
vote from your computer at home and, if you have a smart phone, just
take it off your home WiFi and use your phone carrier and vote again.
Vote from work and attach your smart phone to any of your local
restaurants WiFi and vote from there. We all have multiple
opportunities to vote from a variety of places during the day so take
advantage of that when you can. We all know every rescue is struggling
right now and Suncoast will make good use of any money they might win.

We've been floating in drool with the mastiffs here and have been
slinging buckets of the slimy stuff to everyone in need. Debbie and
her family and Jackie and her family have been in our prayers along
with everyone else who has suffered a loss. We absolutely do believe!

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger