[Dailydrool] V-Day

k. green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 16:32:05 PST 2014

Just checking in to say hello because it's been awhile since we've written.
Last weekend Rupert had an "incident". We are not quite sure whether he had
a mild seizure, or injured his back slightly. I know, two totally different
possibilities, but we just don't know. Here's how it went down.

To preface the "incident":

We had 2 friends over, with their 4 year old bulldog.
We had 3 other friends loading up a moving truck with their belongings,
which we'd been allowing them to store in our garage.
It was rainy.
And a neighbor stopped by with his basset, so we were out front
socializing.
So suffice it to say there was a lot going on, especially when Rupert is
kind of a homebody and semi-sensitive to chaos.

So we're in the front yard with neighbor and said Basset, Dexter. Rupert
squats to poop. I pick it up. Rupert continues meandering around, sniffing
the yard. He begins to quiver or shake and then falls over sideways. Like
cow-tipping, he literally just fell over. And then laid there for what felt
like forever but was really mere seconds.

James and I both saw it and immediately were like, "What the (fill in the
blank)!!" James rushed over and helped Rupert stand up. He seemed a little
wobbly on the back end. James carried him inside. I rounded up Cowboy, said
goodbye to the neighbor and hurried inside as well. Rupert sat there for a
minute looking kind of confused. I gave him a treat which he willingly
accepted and ate. I moved down the hall and called him to see if he could
walk. He walked fine, no longer appearing unstable. I stayed with him for
the majority of the next 36 hours and never saw anything else amiss.

I researched grand mal seizures. Was he sleepy? Yes but he always sleeps a
ton. Did he appear confused? Maybe, but he's always kind of the dopier
basset hound, so no more confused than usual. Is he drooling? Uh yea but he
is a basset hound after all!

So we aren't really sure what happened. I didn't want to rush him to a vet
unnecessarily, which is why I chose to observe. So far, he's fine. Tomorrow
is one week since the "incident". Any ideas?

Otherwise the boys are great - the loves of my life (shh, don't tell
James). I even went to a gourmet butcher shop in San Francisco today to get
them a special V-day treat. (And not to make myself look bad, I picked up a
nice cut of meat for James too!)

Sending drool to those in need. Especially Sandi on the loss of her sweet
Hoagie and as always, much drool to Debbie and Wayne.

To everyone else, may you enjoy this day of love with your hound(s) and
those who you care for most.

Kacy with Cow and Ru