[Dailydrool] Basset owners but not lovers

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 06:13:51 PST 2014

Valerie,
      I have had your experience too.  I got Fancy, my first basset, from a client who had such contempt for her that it was shocking.  They adopted her from a rescue and I met her while my Mom and I were cleaning their house.  For me, it was love at first sight!!!  I loved carrying her around like a baby, her dance of joy whenever she saw someone, and her sweetness!
     Bassets have an unrestrained joy and love for man and beast that I find totally endearing!  I think the thing about bassets is they are livin' LARGE.  They love or get grumpy whole heartedly!!!  When they are mad-- you know it, when they are happy -- you know it, when they are anxious-- you know it, when they are sleepy, or full of love you-- know it!  How can you not love that?
     I had a lady at a feed store approach me and Fancy.  Fancy was so excited, she of course jumped up on her wagging her tail all excited to meet this gal.  The lady said, "You should train her not to jump on people and not to approach strangers."
     I said, "I am Fancy's fifth owner in only 18 short months of life.  She was physically abused and starved in her last home, sold 3 times, in a rescue program, and now, living with me all in 18 short months.  I am never doing anything to crush her enthusiasm and love for people despite all that!"
     How can you not love such an unsinkable spirit in a little dog package?   All three of my bassets come from abusive situations and all have come out of it full of love, mischief, and with an undying faith in human beings.  How can you not love that?
    I also think if you are the type of pet owner that demands absolute obedience this it NOT the breed for  you!!!!  LOL!  They have their own agenda and let you know it!
Marie Campbell & the Newf, Saint, Basset Crew