[Dailydrool] advantages of blindness

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 28 18:22:56 PST 2014

It is seldom that we hear of any advantages of "disabilities".  But I am seeing an interesting one with our beloved old Bo, commander of the PBF. for many years now, Bo has been terrified of big black dogs. Not big dogs. Not black dogs. Just big black dogs. and for good reason--he was mauled twice by big black pit bulls who had broken loose from their chains in our old neighborhood, and the dog next door in our old neighborhood--a Rottweiler-black lab mix climbed its fence on several occasions and went after poor gentle Bo.. (Hawaii is a lovely place but it is not particularly dog-friendly and there are a very large number of thug dogs here). so Bo learned to fear large black dogs (generally of the Rottweiler and/or pit bull persuasion).

We now live in a more peaceful setting, and Bo has gone blind with age. He can no longer tell what color a dog is. Today we are dog sitting a big black lab while a friend moves. Bo was pleased to meet the dog when she arrived, and the two have been friends all day (although two years ago when these two dogs met, Bo was terrified of her). so, in some ways, Bo's sight difficulties have left him less anxious. I doubt he will ever be back in our old neighborhood, home to vicious dogs (some of whom have passed away and one of whom was euthanized after too many attacks on other dogs and people). but I am happy for Bo that this one anxiety of his has blown away and that he now can make new (carefully screened) friends of any coat color.