[Dailydrool] Jersey

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 08:14:50 PST 2014

Jersey's lab results are back and her liver enzymes are through the
roof so she will be a guest at our vet's for the next several days
trying to get things under control. We were afraid that the tests were
going to show liver cancer but they came back looking like she was
exposed to a possible toxin. We have no idea to what and the bad C
word hasn't been totally eliminated but, right now, we're hoping for a
treatable hepatitis. I have no idea what she could have been exposed
to to become toxic but, as long as it isn't cancer, we'll hopefully be
able to treat whatever is going on. I was asked if she could have
possibly eaten mushrooms and the answer is absolutely not but I just
can't imagine what might be in my yard or house that might make her
toxic. We have one hanging plant that no one can get to and I know for
an absolute surety that it isn't anything she has ingested foodwise.
She is getting IV fluids, antibiotics, steroids and vitamin K to help
maintain her clotting factors. They aren't going to retest things
today unless she seems worse so we'll know more tomorrow. I'm going to
go and sit with her for a while this afternoon. The DH is concerned
that it might be tougher on her to see me and then have me leave again
but I think she's sick enough that she isn't going to care. I'll take
her blanket and maybe her bed if there is room in the kennel for it
just so she'll have the smell of home with her. It kills me to have
her think that we might not come back for her. She was dumped by her
first family and I guess I want her to know that we're around for her.
I'm praying that we'll be able to bring her home in a few days.

The other Houndettes are definitely weirded out without Jersey.
They're actually being kind of naughty! I had to take the DH to the
airport this AM and left Ginger loose with Shadow and they got into
yarn and things off my cutting table that they haven't done in a very
long time. Jersey has always been the queen and kept everyone in line
here so I guess they're testing the water while she's gone. The three
of them stayed real close yesterday after I got home. I do believe
these guys are very perceptive and they all know how upset we are.

So that's the scoop up till now. Please keep praying and keep your
hounds drooling for my girl. She holds my heart in her great big paws
and I'm not ready for her to move on to her next great adventure any
time soon.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger