[Dailydrool] Debbie ATB

lea pierce leapierce at leapierce.com
Tue Feb 25 11:14:49 PST 2014

Adm. JED, Lady Foxy, & Claire the Timid (beagle) and I mourn the loss of
Debbie with the entire Drool family. She was rather newly diagnosed (I
think) when I came on the list. Like so many others, I have cried off and
on ever since the post came through--for a person I never met, but feel
like I got to know a bit, because of her friends and admirers on this list.

I want to thank Bev and everyone for the stories shared, for the incredible
love expressed, for showing people like me (new to Bassetude) the level of
committment and sheer fun possible with these marvelous beasties and in
this community.

I am so sorry for Wayne, Amanda, and faithful Bev. May the wonderful
memories comfort you now and in the coming days until you reunite with
Debbie's bright shining spirit At The Bridge. A huge light is warming the
bassets and other critters at the bridge... a light that will now last
forever.

Perhaps other breed rescue groups are as loving. I don't know. What I do
know is the outpouring of concern and love for Debbie and her family is
astonishing. And perhaps we take it for granted, because we know that's
what Droolers do for each other. It is an amazing, and wonderful, thing,
this list.

A mighty champion has walked over the Bridge, where I suspect she'll
continue her work (why not? Bassets on earth--Bassets at the Bridge--pretty
good deal!) and tell her stories to an audience panting with delight. With
total joy and the absence of worry. At least, that is my faith.

And here, we continue the work and the love--in her honor, and in honor of
all of those on this list, and everywhere, who joyously (and sometimes with
fear and trembling) work to save one hound, a dozen hounds, or hundreds of
hounds.

And we continue to offer our support and understanding to those who have
sick hounds tonight and sit by them patiently; and those who mourn other
losses, perhaps silently. My heart goes out to all of you.

Debbie's life and example is one I can cherish and learn from because so
many people on this list took the time to tell her story. I thank everyone
on the Drool for that.

Please keep telling the stories for those of us who are new. They are each
a blessing.

Lea Pierce
HMS Santa Rosa with bridge crew:
Adm. JED "Snatch" Basset
The Lady Foxy
& Claire the Timid (ship's rescue beagle)