[Dailydrool] Bassets, Speed Bumps and Overtaking

Rebecca Louise Stanton pummorse at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Jan 1 00:05:38 PST 2014

Morse and I were heading to the beach a couple of days ago, when a toddler and her father came whizzing along on the path above the beach, with the little girl on her scooter, and the father holding her on.  Obviously Morse thought this was  highly dangerous and unsuitable, and did what any law-abiding basset would do - Inspector Morse trod straight into their path purposefully, causing them to perform an emergency stop.  Morse wagged his tail gently at them as they screeched to a halt.  The father looked at me and his comment was priceless:  "the ultimate sleeping policeman".

I have noticed that bassets (and I have got to limit it to bassets, as I have never noticed other breeds doing this) tend to step in the way of other people on pathways.  If there is a cyclist approaching, the chances are Morse will cut straight in front of the cyclist as they try to pass, and if a group of people are walking towards us, Morse tends to walk straight through them, causing them to have to split.  It's why we love bassets so much, surely.

Happy New Year to all on the DD.  May this year be full of good and recovering health wherever needed, happiness, bacon and drool.

Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB