[Dailydrool] Panosteitis

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 17:19:35 PST 2014

This is something that is common during a growth spurt and is common in
bassets.  I have had two puppies with it.  They both got it between 4-6
months.  The best way I can think of to describe it is "growing pains".
 The limb affected tends to change.  Some vets like to use
anti-inflammatory medications.  Others use tramadol.  I don't think
tramadol was even an option with my first one.  They feel miserable, but it
really doesn't cause any long term damage.  I just remember spending a lot
of time in the rocker recliner with them.  Holding both of them upside down
in my lap and rubbing the affected limb(s) at the time along with the
medication seemed to be the only thing I could do.  It was exhausting.  I
felt so bad for both of them because they just cried and wanted to be held.
 No long term effects to either.  Bismark ATB lived to be 13 and died of an
auto-immune disease and had the least arthritis of any of my bassets.
 Blitzen only lived to be 4, but it was a totally unrelated brain tumor
that caused her demise.

Good luck!  I do know that steroids are not advisable.  It just takes a lot
of patience and understanding to get through it.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess.