[Dailydrool] Basset Snuggling

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 10 15:47:46 PST 2014

Hi all, its the ever clueless momPerson here,

So I have 3 rescued bassets (or perhaps I should say 3 bassets rescued me).  Anyway, the girls are both puppy mill dogs and they were fully shut down when I brought them home as fosters (and failed).  In any case over the course of the last couple of years these girls have completely opened up.  They romp through the house playing with toys, each other, they will come over and bump your hand for pets or rub up against your legs, if you start to pet one dog the other two will come crowd in and turn it into a group pet.  And, they will mold themselves to us when we sleep and we wake up surrounded by bassets who are hugging us.

Snoopy does all of this, but Snoopy takes it to another level.  Snoopy was a pet from the time he was a baby.  As most of you know his mother died and he had 9 months of hell it sounds like before animal control found him wandering the streets sick and scared and the family refused to come claim him.  He was very sad when I first brought him home from the shelter, but he warmed up quickly and is a love bug.  Has been for years.  Thing is, he hugs like a child.  He REALLY does.  I sometimes wake up and find myself navel to navel with him.  Snoopy is a very big boy and his body is about as long as my body and he will snuggle so close and press his belly into my (or Greg or Julianne or Natalie) belly.  Chest to chest.  Belly to belly.  And he makes these sounds when he snuggles like that.  Sweet, happy, purring, moaning kinds of sounds.  With his head on your shoulder (or on your pillow).

I have never met another dog who snuggles like Snoopy.  Does anybody else have a basset who hugs and cuddles and snuggles like Snoopy?

A curious (albeit clueless) momPerson, who wants to know