[Dailydrool] Update on Philby

Mary Lee mltrnka at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 11 16:15:32 PST 2014

Thanks for all the response for my Philby.  The emergency vet gave him a couple shots, and also gave us Rimadyl and Tramadol.  The injections knocked him out so completely, it frightened me.  I could not wake him up, and I had to put my hand on his side to tell he was breathing.  He slept well that night, but I didn't.

By the next day he was moving all around again, and we were working to keep him off the furniture, etc.  For a couple days we only let him out on the leash.

Although he doesn't seem to be in pain his back left leg is not fully functional.  He doesn't bear full weight on it, and it will slip out from underneath him if he pivots too quickly.  After talking with our regular vet, we decided on a series of 10 Class IV laser therapy treatments (similar to ultrasound) which will start Monday.

Bottom line is, he has a back back - lots of deterioration and calcification all along his spine, and we are just going to try to keep him as comfortable and mobile as possible.  He seems to be able to judge what he can and cannot do.  He seems happy and minimally affected by this situation, so we'll just watch him and treat the situation as we can.

Mary Lee Trnka