[Dailydrool] Crating for Heartworm

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 08:24:00 PST 2014

It isn't necessary (I don't think) that Horton literally be in a crate. It
IS necessary to keep him calm and quiet, so if a bed in each room with Mama
is going to do that, then it's fine.
You don't want him running, jumping and playing. You want him as quiet as
possible. It sounds as if he is rowdier in his crate than out of it.
We have set up ex-pens in rooms where we spend a lot of time to keep a sick
or paralyzed dog feeling like a member of the family. It's pretty difficult
to separate a pack animal like a basset from his pack and expect him to
respond with polite resignation.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Doc (who spends much of his spare
time in his crate to avoid Conley.)