[Dailydrool] Crating after Heart Worm Treatment

Margie Downum mldndallas at aol.com
Mon Jan 13 17:06:35 PST 2014

A few years ago I was fostering for N. Texas Basset Rescue.  The young hound was actually more dead than alive when taken into rescue but with time, love and excellent vet care, we finally reached the milestone to deal with his heart worms.  The hound, Waldo, had already survived starvation, kennel cough, pneumonia, worms and distemper, although we hadn't figured that one out yet.

When I picked Waldo up from the vet, he handed me a prescription for 5 mg. Valium and told me I would need to have it filled ASAP.  I had never dealt with a post-heart worm treatment dog but had familiarized myself with what to expect.  At no time in my internet reading had I seen the word Valium!  The Vet explained the usual side effects of the HW treatment had not phased Waldo's usual exuberance for life and he had had to resort to Valium to temper his enthusiasm.  He asked if I had a crate in my car and expecting to transport a calm, docile, not feeling very well hound, I had not bothered to put a crate in the back of my SUV.  I live 3 miles from the office so we agreed Waldo was still feeling the effects of his latest dose and would be fine for the short ride home.

I had only driven a few blocks before Waldo popped up, tail beating the sides of the car and attempting to cross the back seats to be close to his foster mom.  I immediately turned into a drive through pharmacy I was passing to get the Valium RX started.  I did not have a relationship with this pharmacy so expected lots of questions.  I handed the young man who was working the window the RX, which was made out to Waldo and my last name, along with my drivers license.  He immediately asked for the patient's date of birth, which I couldn't remember what the rescue and vet decided on.  About that time, Waldo made it into the back seat and proceeded to stick his head out the window at the same time the man realized the prescription was for an animal.  Information was quickly exchanged and he told me he needed my signature, then laughed and wanted to know if he could get Waldo's signature.  I told him I'd be back in 15 minutes.  I took Waldo home, crated him and returned for the medication.  The guy told me I had been his most fun customer he could remember and told me he hoped the medication helped as it appeared I was in for a long night.
Waldo had a good recovery but it did take every Valium pill.

Several weeks later Waldo developed seizures due to the distemper but went on to find a wonderful loving forever home looking for a special needs hound.  As far as I know he is living the life of Riley enjoying every moment of his life.

Margie, Mandy, Patches, Bosco, and the wannabe Rosie, all ATB