[Dailydrool] Furry Bellies

Tom Hickcox cometkazie1 at cox.net
Thu Jan 16 11:49:36 PST 2014

We adopted Agatha last March when Mabel passed away.  We got her from
The League for Animal Welfare in Batavia, Ohio.

Agatha is the seventh basset I have been closely associated with over
the last thirty-five years.

She has a couple of characteristics that aren't typically basset. Her
ears aren't that long and her muzzle is slimmer than typical. Also, her
legs are long and she goes down stairs in a long-legged manner rather
than the hops bassets take.  She has a deep chest but a tiny butt.

My daughter was watching a dog show around Xmas.  The winner was a fox
hound and it appeared to me some of these atypical characteristics were
more in line with it.

Anyway, this morning I realized (Duh!) that she has a very furry belly.
My six other bassets had practically bare bellies that were speckled.

I am wondering what y'all's experiences are with basset bellies? Are
they furry or not?

Agatha is about 5yo and very boisterous.  We love her a lot.

Tommy in Danville, Ky