[Dailydrool] Slinky dog Nigel

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 11:48:49 PST 2014

Nigel wanted me to write and explain why a slinky dog is allowed to go
outside in the snow without covering up.

When Nigel went down in the rear we took him to the U of Wisconsin and we
were told, Nigel and I in the middle of the night as emergencies, that
surgery MIGHT give him a 2% (that's TWO percent) possibility of
improvement. Their suggestion was to put him down.

So we had a tough decision and we decided to keep him around awhile and see
how that worked. Well we bought all kinds of stuff for him and nothing
worked very well. Either he was too big or too small or too shaped like a
huge bratwurst for things to stay on or up or down or whatever they were
supposed to do. Even Eddie's wheels had drawbacks since he had to be lifted
into the harness and it nearly killed all three of us.

Over time we have developed a kind of Let's-Let-Him-Be-A-Dog for whatever
time he has left. So he goes outside. He has a big callus on one leg, and
we did neuter him and remove the scrotal sac to keep him from abrading
himself so badly. In the summer he scoots through the grass easily but in
the winter it's not as simple and he doesn't stay out long because we don't
allow it. The wheels don't work in snow and he has gained enough weight
that I bet he won't fit in it come spring.

Anyway we are not being cruel and regardless he pees wherever he is, having
very little control or perhaps none.
I can see how it might look pretty barbaric to people so thought I'd better
explain it a little bit.

Nigel says he has been out today and that's enough for the day.

Drool and love to all from Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Doc
& MomPerson