[Dailydrool] Good by Barney

Ron Buries rburies at verizon.net
Sun Jan 26 00:00:36 PST 2014

Today I lost my Barney, my best friend and confident,.also known as barndog love bug , flea bag, skinny minnie. For the last year barney has been battling intestinal problems. In November 2012, Barney began to loose his  appetite. Blood tests determined he had a low thyroid. A month latter I took him in again to check if his thyroid levels were o.k.  After the exam my vet weighed Barney. Since Barney was 6 months old he had weighed 50-51 pounds.He now weighed 45 pounds. I brought Barney back every week for two months and there was no change. In fact Barney began to loose his desire to eat. After going thru 3 vets and lots of money, I found a vet that found through a sonogram that barney had ulcers in his upper and lower intestine, malfunctioning gallbladder, liver, and pancreatitis. There also appeared to be an area in the intestine that could be cancerous. He couldn’t eat because his tummy was a miss. The plan was to see if meds and diet would heal the ulcers, gallbladder liver and pancreas. For a time Barney seemed to rally, eating well and gaining weight. Then suddenly he began to refuse food, only eating boiled chicken. We tried all the prescription hill’s and science diet on the market, canned and kibble. No luck.  Some he would eat for a day or two and then quit. Nothing was working. Last week we finished the meds and then he just stopped eating. I could get a little chicken in him,but nothing else. In the last week he lost 3 more pounds. His daily walks became shorter, his choice. He would look at me with those sad eyes and I couldn’t help him. 3 days ago we went out for a walk. We went 50’ and he turned around and walked back to the house. After consulting with my trusted vet it was decided that it was time to let him go. So today Barney and I took our last walk in the park. At 3:00 today his mom and I released him from his pain and sufferings. As his favorite vet ever loved on him and I held him in my arms he quickly left this world where he was free. Good by barndog, I will  always love you, and when I grow to old to dream I’ll still have you to remember...Always.

                                                                           A heartbroken Mom and Dad