[Dailydrool] Lady Dog

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 05:43:14 PST 2014

AMEN BEVERLY!!!!
     I have owned many male and female Newfs and even female Newfs can be bitchy bossy but they've got NOTHING on a female Basset.  I got Fancy 7 years ago from a client who decided she was too lazy and worthless.  I fell in love with her the minute I saw her!!!!!  She is adorable with people and children BUT she came in ruling the Newfs with an iron fist!!!!!!!!  They don't dare touch her food/treat/toy, her sleeping spot, her end of the couch, or bump Her Highness wherever she is!!!  She will pop up with a mighty roar and appear to bite them but never really does.  It is a warning!  She has never drawn blood or truly bitten any dog but she gives a fierce warning!!!!  This began when she was 18 months old and has not waned one iota in the almost 8 year I have owned her.  My basset boy, Luke, can be a little like this but Fancy takes the cake.
     Interestingly enough, Fancy also loves the Newfs and they love her!  She cleans their faces and ears.  She wrestles with them and they are very careful with her.  She will climb on them while they are sleeping and nibble on them until they wake up and play with her.
     It is really funny to see these giant hairy dogs part like the red sea to let her through when she is walking down the hall.  She is really the queen here and is rarely challenged.  Ironically, if anyone has the nerve to snarl at her or snap back, she gets hysterical and runs for Mommy crying!
    Marie Campbell & the Basset, Newf, Saint Crew