[Dailydrool] NEVER again!

Mr Shannon R Gerdel bassethoundbutler at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 11:07:51 PST 2014

Hello Drool family!!

CAUTION: contains nail clipping gone horribly wrong, and blood. I got brave
the other day, and trimmed nails here at the house. I have been waiting for
week for the mobile vet to come by, as Babe has some bumps on her side I
need to have looked at, and he can trim the nails.

Boomer has some nails that are solid black. I barely cut any of it, just
the very tip, and I knew by his reaction that I had hurt him, and blood
went everywhere. I thought he was going to bleed to death, I couldn't get
it to stop. Finally, the flour started to work. In the mean time, I had
called the vet, and she said that cornstarch might work too, but that no
dog had ever bled to death by cutting the quick.

Needless to say, there was blood and flour all over the duvet, and my Baby
Boo was so in pain. (I'm going to start crying again) I was sharing this
story with a friend when they told me that a friend of theirs once had a
Basset with black nails. She said that their vet recommended removing all
the nails, so that the dog would not have to go through such awful trauma
at clipping time.

I'm not about to rush anywhere, and have this done, but it does give me
something to think about. I have heard many people talk about taking claws
from cats, but from Dogs, especially Basset Hounds? Has anyone ever heard
of such a thing? My friend said that their friends Basset lived a normal
happy nail free life, and that it never caused many problems.

That's why I am taking this to the experts: each of YOU!!

Sad to see the Bridge being used so much. I love each of you, and although
you don't hear from me everyday, you aree always in my thoughts and prayers.

Houndie Hugs and Snooter Kisses frum da Caspaw Cwew! Yours in Dwool,

Babe

Boomer

Arnie ATB

Butler Shannon-DDOD (Dat dum ol dad; an absowute, topaw, compwete
BassetCase)

Mr. Shannon R. Gerdel
3583 Meadowlark Drive
Casper WY 82604