[Dailydrool] Impacted anal glands?

Debbie Moran lighthouse1007 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 18:35:29 PST 2014

Please have it checked out again. We lost our 5 year old Basset to cancer suddenly a little over a year ago after spending $7,000 on surgery.  They had assured us he would have several years.  He didn’t make it 1 week after surgery. 6 months later, we adopted a Basset rescue- just for a year now.  I had blood work completed on him in July because he was so thirsty all the time.  I was told all was ok.  On December 20th, I noticed a slight swelling on the left side of his anus.  Thinking it was an impacted anal sac, I took him to the vet.  On Christmas Eve I found out he has cancer of the anal sac.  Long story short- we have decided to keep Henry at home with us and not do surgery.  We were told with surgery he would have 6 months- up to a year with additional chemo.  On top of all this, he has a heart condition (which no vet had ever mentioned)- A Fib so he might not make it through the surgery. We are heartbroken.  I truly think it could have been diagnosed back in July with the blood work. I hope everything works out for you.  Unfortunately, I think sometimes vets are in too big a rush and don’t throughly examine their patient. Debbie