[Dailydrool] cutting black nails

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 03:09:43 PST 2014

I don't think I would want to remove the nails just because they are black
and hard to cut.  Lots of experienced places cut nails.  If you can't get
the hang of cutting them yourself, pay to have it done.

I have three dogs with multicolored nails.  That means some are black, some
are clear and some are that stupid marbled color.  I actually have more
trouble with the "marbled" ones than I do the black ones.

I cut nails every 2 weeks.  I know this sounds crazy, but my dogs are
almost never on concrete or asphalt.  Obviously, their backyard is grass
and when I walk them, we have to walk in the ditch, which is grass.  So I
don't have anything naturally trimming their nails.

Obviously the clear ones are easy because you can see the quick.  On the
black ones, you can see the growth is a smaller diameter than the rest of
the nail.  I call it the hook.  I cut at the hook.  If the nail is still
touching the ground, I take shavings until I see the quick, but haven't hit
the quick.  You can do the same thing on the marbled ones, but the lack of
consistency in color can lead you astray.  I save those for last so I can
get a feel for how much I am taking off.

If anyone has found a pair of nail clippers (not guilotine) that hold up to
BIG basset nails that like to splinter and shred, I am open to suggestions.
 I go through clippers like there is no tomorrow.  I hate using dull
clippers.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess