[Dailydrool] Philby's Laser Therapy

Mary Lee mltrnka at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 29 16:23:48 PST 2014

On Jan 5, we took Philby to the emergency vet.  He was shaking (apparently in pain) and dragging one of his back legs.  Xrays showed he had arthritis all up and down his spine, with deterioration and calcification.  We were sent home with meds.  The next day I called our regular vet and he suggested laser therapy.

Well, we have completed 6 out of 10 laser treatments, and Philby seems to be doing much better.  He was down to half a Tramadol per day until Monday.

When I took him for his treatment and put his goggles on (to protect his eyes during the treatment - we ALL have to wear them) I noticed a bulge on one side of his face.  Apparently he has an infected/abcessed molar.  So the vet is coming tomorrw to remove the tooth, clean the rest of them, and give him his laser treatment.  We already started him on antibiotics and upped his pain meds again so he could eat. (He had been a little off his eating habits.)  Poor baby - getting old is a drag!

He seems to be getting around almost as well as before.  He is not dragging the leg at all, and he will bear weight on it, especially when he wants to "mark".  He is no longer hesitating before he gets up on the sofa.  So overall, we're glad we tried this treatment.  Of course, he might have made the same improvements just using the meds.  But I truly believe the treatments helped, they did not harm him in any way, and if not for the abcess, I think he'd be off pain meds by now.

Thanks again for all your input!

Mary Lee Trnnka