[Dailydrool] torn cruciate

daisy7521 at aol.com daisy7521 at aol.com
Tue Jul 1 19:29:40 PDT 2014

Dottie was doing fine yesterday, today, she woke up, and couldn’t walk.  She has this large

hard lump on the inside of her back leg, but not cancer.  We brought her into vet right

away, and he felt her knee very closely, and then she jumped.  She has a torn cruciate

ligament!!!!  So as it turns out, that hard lump really never had anything to do with

her knee.  She is not a candidate for surgery, first of all at a little over 10 yrs. old, and

she would need to lose about 20lbs!!  So right now, our only option is too keep her as

comfortable as possible, so we started with a cortisone shot directly into the knee, that will

take away most of the pain, and help to reduce the swelling.  When it starts to wear off

in time, she would need another shot, for now, she is only 37.5 mg.of deramaxx, as much

as I am afraid of that pill, there is really no other choice, also up to 6 pills of tramadol

a day.  She is also is taking milk thistle as a protectant for her liver and kidneys because

of the deramaxx.  As of now, she is off deramaxx, as long as she has had the cortisone shot.  Her blood work is fine now.  I was so scared and upset this morning,and she watches me so closely, it took all I c ould do to not break down crying, and then she would get upset.

I thought this was the end.  She is doing much better right now, doctor said it could

take up to 48 hrs. for cortisone to take full affect, and it is already helping.

I have read the recover from that kind of surgery is very very slow to heal, and they

still can have a limp. Either way, we are not candidates, and the surgery starts at

2500. dollars.  My neighbors dog also had the same thing, and has been on tramadol

for almost a yr. now, and has not had to have surgery, and she also is not limping……

has anyone else had this awful experience???? I couldn’t stand to see her limping that

awful, one step, and she would have to lay down………..

Dottie’s mommy, Barb

Sent from Windows Mail