[Dailydrool] The Reginald Report: Boo-boo in Big R

Tim Mayer tcm541 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 17:28:31 PDT 2014

Earlier this week was a field trip for Reginald. First time out to Big R,
the local ranch supply, for kibble. Naturally he was a BIG hit with the
customers and the staff. His leash training is going very nicely, and he's
not pulling my arm off anymore. He does get distracted easily though. So I
have to be a little assertive with getting his attention back (hey, he IS a
basset after all!)

But there was a boo-boo. He marked a spot - one of the ground level shelves
with the really big bags of dog food. Fortunately I was prepared and had a
small towel with me. He hasn't had any accidents in the house since the
third or fourth day he was here, but this was a new place and full of really
neat new smells, and I really wasn't too surprised. The vet told me that
since he was only neutered about five weeks ago he probably still has
hormone issues that cause him to want to mark things. Anyway, we did a
circuit around the store for leash training, and the rest of the visit went
without incident. All said and done, it was a good trip regardless. It's
important for him to get out and deal with new places and new people,
especially during this adjustment and training period.

We're really struggling with "off" and "leave it". He's very affectionate
and wants to be in my lap, or as close as he can. Yesterday I had Dexter in
my lap for some snuggle time, and Reginald decided to jump right up on the
table next to the chair. Fortunately there was nothing in my water glass,
and so there wasn't the big mess he's created before. But that "off" command
just isn't his style. He must have been bored too. Because he was getting
things of the table and desk. I'm trying to be very patient with the
training, but when he took my camera bag (with camera, batteries, cables,
etc.) into his big gaping alligator jaws and scampered out the back door I
was hot on his heels with the most severe "Leave it!" I could muster. It
didn't work. He laid down in the grass, set in full stubborn "MAKE ME" mode,
and would not let go. I had to force it out of his mouth. Of course I gave
him his red rubber ball right away, but boy did he try to show me who's
boss.

Now I just have to wait and see how he does with fireworks. I was very
fortunate the last couple of years: neither Dexter nor Leia Round were
bothered by storms or loud noises or fireworks. But Reginald is skittish
around the vacuum cleaner and that's not a very good sign. Oh well. I had to
deal with that problem for thirteen years with Maggie.

Tim 'n Puppies

     The Original Reginald and Dexter D. Dawg