[Dailydrool] Bloat & soaking food

CenturyLink Customer oakrydgebh at q.com
Fri Jul 4 10:41:10 PDT 2014

There's been lots of research on this issue at our house. Knowledge is power so they say.

We have been very lucky over the decades we've been owned by bassets. I can only think of two and of my hounds who were in the early stages and were given Gas-X. In both cases they had  gorged from the kibble bin.

I used to  soaked my hounds  kibble in hot wate r. After reading  a study  done on breeds prone to bloat that including soaking their  food and/or  elevating feeding dishes and feeding dry kibble   that found no evidence that soaking their food made any difference, I stopped soaking kibble. I haven't had anyone bloat on dry kibble.

I feed dry kibble to all my bassets . I have two that prefer water on their kibble but I don't soak it . I feed my bassets  crated. N o one wolfs down their food. There are no food fights.  Everyone chews their crunchy kibble. I  crate everyone  before I start preparing their meal  and they remain crated for about 30 minutes after they finish eating. Everyone stays calm and there are no issues over food during meals. It's also easier to supplement or treat anyone who needs meds or supplements. The only time I soak kibble now  is when the  vet recommends soft food following surgery such as a dental with an extraction which is usually for a week to two weeks. I do believe that a cal m eating environment makes a difference .

Jacqie Marvich & The Lowdownhounds of Oakrydge + Megan The Talld og