[Dailydrool] Summertime

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 13:47:04 PDT 2014

I just got through picking up the wet towels from treating Nigel for a temp
of 104.8 which isn't terrible but shows how fast these boys can overheat
outside.
Nigel has been going out and laying in the sun on the deck, and it hasn't
bothered him. I set a timer and check regularly on any dog outside.
This time when I checked, Nigel looked as if getting up was just almost
impossible, as if he were weighted down. I got him in and got some water in
him, and put him on the bed with the fan on him (It isn't hot enough in the
house to turn on the a/c. Also not fast enough to help).
I soaked him with water and alcohol (rubbing) especially where the big
important veins are: the back of the neck and head, the groin and belly,
the inside of the back legs, the ears, inside and outside without dribbling
it down the canal, throat.  I turned a fan on low on him. Every 10-15
minutes I took his temp and I kept working until I took it and it was 103.
I have been taught that you stop at this point because usually the temp
continues to drop and you don't want it too low. This has always worked for
me and it worked this time: I kept taking his temp until it registered at
102 and I figured that was nice and normal and about then he decided it was
almost time to eat so I know he'll be fine but the point is, it can happen.
So if your baby has been outside and comes in looking funny, take his temp.
Get one of the new three-second thermometers or whatever they are: battery
operated they register the temp within a few seconds so your dog doesn't
have to be a squirrel while you are waiting.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Doc