[Dailydrool] Overheated dogs

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 19:42:21 PDT 2014

I forgot a couple of things about over heated dogs. Nigel really wasn't
bad-- 105 degrees is when you really start getting into trouble, but he was
definitely over what is normal.
Never use cold water and/or ice to cool a hot animal. Start with water that
is tepid or warm and work down, cooling the water as you go. Don't use ice.
Just don't. Cool the places where the big blood vessels are: the neck and
back of the head to cool the brain, the belly and groin, ears in Bassets,
feet: use rubbing alcohol carefully. I mix it with the water once I get the
temp of the water down a bit.
Stop when the temp hits 103, monitor the temp every 15 minutes after that
to be sure it continues to go down.
Get the dog to a Vet asap.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley & Doc & Thank you Sandi for the moral
support, technical advice and reminding me about the ice.

--
'