[Dailydrool] Wilson, the Magnificent

Bill Armstrong billa_1 at msn.com
Fri Jul 11 08:10:07 PDT 2014

We received a note from Wilson's Dad Micky.  Wilson left this World on Wednesday.  Apparently he had 2 large lumps on his spleen and there was no other choice but to let him go.
We met Wilson around 3 or 4 years ago at the dog park.  Instantly upon seeing him, we knew we were seeing the epitome of Bassetdom.  He weighed around 90 pounds with almost no fat, enormous ears and wrinkles that went on forever.  To me, he was the perfect definition of a Basset.
I always said that the dictionary should have had a picture of him in the Basset listing.
Not only was he an extremely handsome Basset, he was also perfect gentleman.  Many times at the park he would insert himself in any altercation between dogs and restore peace.  He had such a presence and bearing that all the other dogs respected him and followed his lead.
He loved little dogs and always protected them.
A couple of years ago he attended the High Country Basset Rescue picnic here in Colorado and you would have thought some Hollywood star had come.  He must have had his picture taken a 100 times.  He was just that perfect.

My "Girls", Janie Anne and Siobhan adored him.  I loved that wonderful hound almost as much as my own.
It is so unfair that they always have to leave us, but I firmly believe that we will all meet again someday.
I like to believe that Wilson is up at the Rainbow Bridge, young and healthy, impressing all the other wonderful hound who have left us.

Micky had him since puppyhood and gave him a perfect life for his 11 or so years.
Micky is not a Drooler, but I wrote him and he would appreciate any kind words of condolence from all who love the breed, especially those of us who have experienced a loss.
His address is mickyschlagel at gmail.com
I thank all of you who can take a minute or so to help Micky ease his pain.
Sad woofs,
Janie Anne and Siobhan--all ears hanging low in sadness, respect and love.
and Bill--my prayers just got a little longer.