[Dailydrool] Doggie doors for Bassets

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Wed Jul 16 19:45:26 PDT 2014

Aside from the push and shove method, really ???  O:-)

and assuming the door is at the right height (too high and they may refuse
because its hard to jump through)

Prop the doggie door open ... repeat after me:  "the best treats are always
to be had for the hound that comes through the door"

freshly prepared steak (walmart in my area has markdowns regularly that are
perfect for this, and besides who'd begrudge their hound a NY Strip knock
off?  -- hint, Walmart has a "first cut strip steak" that is NY Strip like
"B grade" .. about 1 dollar less per pound and if you look over all of those
first cut steak packages, you may find one that is damned near A grade)

Anyway.. that' or a little peanut butter dribbled on cookie, a little yogurt
or even some carrot sticks if your hound really doesn't like anything else..

Still having issues?  Then next, its with the propped open doggie door, and
your assistant on the other side with the hound, pushing gently while you're
outside coaxing them out.. still with treats!!

If your doggie door is a bit high off the floor, you might get away with a
step-up / step down platform made with 2x4's on their long sides, with 1/2
plywood on top (this gives a 2.5 inch rise from the floor) 18 to 24 inches
wide, 3 feet long, with commercial grade carpet on top of that (glued or
stapled down) You would need one on both sides of the door to get them use
to having something to get them up a little higher at the door itself.. as
they work at it.. eventually you take one side away... then the other side
.. etc.  Make sure the platforms on either side can't slip or it would act
to re-enforce doggie door hatred ...

Care should be used with the push and shove or grab and pull ... if your
hound resists too much they are always liable to snip.  Patience and treats
are usually the keys.

-Robert

  _____