[Dailydrool] Anal glands: Advice and thoughts (long)

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 19 07:53:42 PDT 2014

OK. I know nobody really wants to think about anal glands in any detail, but I would like input from those with experience in dealing with this problem.

Neither of my dogs had ever had a problem with their anal glands. Until about six months ago, when Rolph had a minor infection. It was treated and ever since he has had a nice chunk of pumpkin added to his meals which he loves (he eats high-end, allergy aware kibble).

About three weeks ago I thought he had lost control of his bowels as he kept having accidents.In all the years (8) he has lived with me, even when he's had an upset tummy, his long hair has never been fouled, but this time I had to trim his legs and and tail because he got in such a mess.

The vet gave him pain killers, anti inflammatories and antibiotics for a week.He was concerned it could have been a nuerological issue. However, at the recheck he was sure it wasn't, BUT the infection hadn't cleared and he was given another 10 days of antibiotics and I was told to put steroid cream on his anus (lovely).

After all of this, he is still not right. I will take him back next week, but he still feels a bit lumpy at 12 'o'clock (not where his glands are), is still a bit messy despite 'normal' stools and is still tender.

So, before we meet the vet again, are there any questions I should be asking, or things I should be looking for?

He is drooling well in the present heatwave, so we are sending lots of it towards every hound and human who needs it.

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/bloggers/blogs