[Dailydrool] Nigel ATB

lea pierce leapierce at leapierce.com
Wed Jul 23 22:05:40 PDT 2014

Houndservant, returning to base after manoevers in San Francisco today,
determined to raid the ship's exchequer in return for having to negotiate
urban traffic, ordered an obscenely large, stupidly expensive, very juicy
bone-in rib-eye. Rare.

Whilst slicing into the roast of beef (mis-named a steak) and also catching
up on email, Houndservant read of Nigel's recent posting to the Bridge.

Rats! Houndservant thought. Rats. Rats. Rats. And more rats. It is Too
Darned Crowded up there on that Bridge.

Houndservant was not surprised at the big lump making it hard to swallow
that rib-eye. Taking a big slug of Dutch Courage (in the form of a gin &
tonic), this old dogrobber meditated on hounds & drool & why it hurts
gosh-darned almost as much to bid farewell to the hound of another Drooler
as it does to bid farewell to crew from HMS Santa Rosa.

Hmmm... a little saltwater leaked into the Dutch Courage; then it occurred
to Houndservant that, hateful those these orders are, Nigel had no-doubt
wasted not one hour, not one minute, not one second before tucking into an
even bigger, jucier, more delectable steak at the 24-Hour Basset Buffet...
served to him by the Kitchen Beagles with Debbie standing ready to give
endless Big Basset Belly rubs at Nigel's command.

Yes. That helped. With Pizza chasers and duck fat fries, muffins, and a few
tacos thrown in.

Plus, Houndservant thought of Nigel telling Debbie about all of the crazy
happenings he left behind. O! He can tell a story! What we have to look
forward to!

Yes.That also helped.

Then, Houndservant thought of all those other Hounds & Houndettes that are
already there... with those servants, like Debbie, who have also gone
ahead. O! What fun!

So... why does it hurt gosh-darned nearly as much to lose a hound known
only by Drool? O! Because Drool Hounds belong to all of us.

Houndservant is blessed to have dozens, hundreds, perhaps THOUSANDS of
hounds to love through the Drool. Because of the stories told, the hopes
shared, the fears unburdened, the advice asked and given, and the sheer joy
of these dwarf and darling beasties, Houndservant gets to have an entire
herd, a pack, a tribe made up of hounds & humans alike.

These beasties remind us of how good it is to live: how juicy and tasty the
food is, how wonderful it is to get a big basset belly rub from someone who
loves us (even when we're being, well, a doggone HOUND), what it is to
waddle through the tough times because, darn it, chances are reeeaalllly
good that there's another treat waiting when we duck whatever next thing
life tosses at us.

Hounds are hope. Drool is hope. The more hounds, the more drool, the more
hope. Not a bad chain reaction.

Nigel's life created so much joy, so many howls of laughter; year after
year, story after story after story to amuse and delight us. (Indeed,
Houndservant often looks at the current crew and mutters, "why can't you be
as funny as Nigel, doggone it, so I can have more stories to tell!!") Nigel
is Bev & John's hound... but because they shared him so fully, he was our
hound as well.

Ahrooo! Ahrooo! Ahooo!

The officers & crew of the HMS Santa Rosa salute Nigel who's new angel
collar is also stamped Joy. We send barrels of extra-thick Naval Drool to
Bev & John.​
​ Thank you for sharing your hound. ​
​DoG knows, it should not have been so difficult; but you helped Nigel
arrive at his final posting. No hound can ask for better than the care and
love you gave.​

​Ahrooo! Ahrooo! Ahrooo!

The officers & crew of the HMS Santa Rosa salute all who have lost a hound.
They deserved your love; and you deserved theirs. Thank you for sharing.

We shall join the Forever Pack by and by, and look for Nigel's bright,
shining spirit when our Tour of Duty is over.

​Lt. Lea Pierce
Houndservant & Dogrobber to the officers & crew of the HMS Santa Rosa
Permanently docked at the Whine Country Spa & Hot Dog Factory​

​Under the Command of the Pacific Basset Feet & World Basset Union​