[Dailydrool] Mr. Miller is gone

Kathy Miller kmiller7 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 3 06:59:05 PDT 2014

The way yesterday started was far from how it ended.  After I addressed the
nail in the rear tire, I went home and took Mr. Miller to the vet to get his
bandage changed. I noticed he wasn't acting like himself. Dr. Barnes called
and told me he looked anemic and jaundiced and had several enlarged lymph
nodes. She discussed the possible causes which were liver disease, lymphoma,
autoimmune disease affecting his red cells. I authorized her doing a CBC and
chemistry panel.   The CBC showed all indexes were low. The chemistry panel
showed elevated liver enzymes, elevated bilirubin, increased albumin levels.
With his hematocrit being 22, he would need a blood transfusion.  The
expenses of all treatment options were way beyond my means. So I made the
hard decision.  I canceled my only appointment, went to the vet's clinic and
sat with him. I petted him, scratched his neck (I felt a mass, which Dr.
Barnes said was a lymph node. It was the size of a lemon.)  He was sedated
prior to receiving the euthanasia solution and slipped quietly to the
Bridge.  It's quiet at home with Gatsby and me.

Kathy Miller and Gatsby