[Dailydrool] Meet Polly - $5 Friday BAGS hound

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Wed Jun 4 08:18:57 PDT 2014

Debbie's Dawgs June $5 Friday is this week!  Our recipient
this month is BAGS Basset Rescue in Ohio to help with
the huge vet bills incurred by the seniors they've recently
rescued. We have just over 100 steady supporters but we
need more - please consider donating just $5 or even $1
to Debbie's Dawgs via Paypal at debbiesdawgs at icloud.com
or email me off list to send a check. I can't tell you how
rewarding it is to be even a small part of helping these
homeless hounds who have been so neglected.  The
donations we receive, no matter how small, add up to
big help to the rescues and the hounds.

I've already posted the sad stories of Buddy,Dusty, Charlie,
Snow Paws, Trixie and Candy, all rescued by BAGS. Now
here's Polly's story as told by Maribeth Walker, who is so
dedicated to saving these seniors and giving them the care,
attention and love they deserve:

Miss Polly Pollywog is a 10 year old beautiful girl. I wish she could tell me about her life before BAGS.  Polly was another owner relinquish, in the last year. The entire time her previous owner was talking to me, it all just sounded like Blah blah blah to me. This precious soul deserved so much more than their neglect.  Polly and her vet and I  were just celebrating the other day that for the first time in 8 months, her bladder is free of several bacteria. The word cysto for Polly was very routine. Polly and I think it's awesome that she can now make it outdoors to go potty. That's ok, the mop and bucket is part of the decor, and we don't mind. She does have a bad back leg that is frozen from a past chapter in her life.. Her lungs are like a human with COPD. She likely had an untreated pneumonia. She can take air in okay but exhaling is noticeably harder if she has any activity. Her blood oxygen level is good, so she is not suffering. It is likely her lifespan won't be as long, but we hope she proves them wrong.

Polly had an emergency a few months ago when she got up from her bed and was loosing a lot of blood from both ends. If I wouldn't have been home at that time, and the vet wasn't 1 mile away, it would have been fatal. When I ran in the vet doors with her in my arms, it looked like we had been shot. I learned a lot about HG that day, Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. That is a very scary illness, and we are so thankful she survived. I have included her picture from that hospital stay. Mommy visited every day bringing her a new batch of chicken and rice because she refused "hospital food." She also wanted her blankets from home.

Pollywog is known by the other BAGS bassets as a bossy kind of girl. She barks a lot of commands from whichever bed (throne) she has chosen for the day. She often prefers her meals and snacks served bedside to her. She feels she has put in her time, and the retirement life comes with many perks of being treated like royalty. We will go along with her wishes!

You've already read how the vet bills for Snow Paws,
Trixie and Candy were $2400 - wouldn't we just love
to pay that off for BAGS? On top of that they have a HUGE
balance with their thankfully very understanding vet. Our goal
is to at least pay the girls' bill but we'd love to do more for
these hounds.  I know Debbie is behind us all the way with
our efforts.  To steal from Bob the DOg, "We're waving at
you, Debbie!"

Donna, drool fueler for Gracie, Bosley and Sunny