[Dailydrool] Two depressed guys

Tim Mayer tcm541 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 19:45:31 PDT 2014

Well, I'm depressed. And so is Dexter. Our beloved Leia Round isn't home
where she belongs. Since Christmas or so she's been having some intermittent
coughing/hacking episodes, but the vet was unable to get a handle on it. We
did x-rays, nothing showed, so we did some good general antibiotics, and
she'd get better, and the it would come back. Well, Thursday night it was
back with a vengeance. She wouldn't eat breathing was short, panting,
labored. She wouldn't get up to walk (but if I helped her to her feet she
walked okay) - well beyond her normal level of lethargy. It was too late in
the day to get her in then, so I got her to the vet Friday morning. This
time the x-rays showed a large amount of fluid in the lungs. Beyond that it
was unclear. But we are pretty sure it's congestive heart failure. They did
blood work to check for anything else and only found a mild infection. So
she's been hooked up to an IV to keep her hydrated, and on antibiotics again
for the infection, and diuretics to reduce the fluid in the lungs.
Saturday's report was a second x-ray that shows some reduction in the
fluids, but also showed the possibility that there is a mass in there that
the fluid was hiding the first time. However, she was eating a little, and
walked outside on her own (short distance so they wouldn't fatigue her).
Today when we talked we felt that another x-ray was premature. We know she's
improving, and more time was needed. She's showing interest in what's going
on around her, brighter eyes, tail is up (instead of drooping) when she goes
outside for potty breaks. So tomorrow they'll take another x-ray and we'll
see how things are proceeding.

I don't post often anymore because things have been so good with Dexter and
Leia for the last couple years. But I needed to unwind - this really has
stressed me out. And of course, I'm hoping that there's some extra drool
available to be flung our way. Dexters trying as hard as he can, but he's
not very productive. Although he did just drool all over the lap of someone
who dropped by. I got the visitor a towel to soak it up. She didn't seem too
bothered :)

Anyway, I've got to get back Dexter - he really wants to be in my lap, but I
can't handle him and the laptop computer at the same time.

Tim 'n Puppies