[Dailydrool] Basset with back legs paralized due to disk problems

Oogway Vicki oogway2u at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 20:09:27 PDT 2014

Hello Fellow Droolers,

I am a long time lurker. I don't have much time to post, but want to say
how comforting to come home and read all the different posts. You are all
Golden!
My little Basset is 11 years young and just recently developed paralysis to
her back legs. Vetman says that is it disk problem wants $2500 for MRI and
another $4000 to  $5000 for surgery!  The vet added that it could be more
too if there is complications. Oh my !!  Also the Vet said they don't
guarantee that surgery would be successful and there may be other disks
that blow and she may have to go in for more surgery

 Duchess can wobble walk a little but she is very weak. She is 54 lbs and
smaller basset. I gave her Trifexis for flea and deworm. Then 4 days later
she couldn't walk. I called Trifexis and the "vet" said that their drug had
nothing to do with my dogs back leg paralysis. I think her body had an
inflamation due to the drug and that did not help.

She is somewhat better after the prenisone and pain killers, but she is
still not walking very well and stumbles. I am so afraid to have her walk I
hold her back end so she can go potty and make her lay down.

Help! please I am asking what others are doing for therapy for their basset
spinal injures.  I was told that spine issues are common in Bassets, but I
don't find much.

Thank you for any help.

vicki