[Dailydrool] Basset Down in Rear

Rkbeard at aol.com Rkbeard at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 13:56:10 PDT 2014

I have had considerable experience with Basset Hounds with back problems,
and strongly recommend
putting the dog on large doses of glucosomine, chondroitin, and msm.
Also, predisone does not hurt for a short term, and can be used with the other
remedies.

Also, if the dog has feeling in the back feet, I would recommend using a
"doggie wheel chair" or cart for several weeks.  the cart should be  adjusted
in the back so that the tips of the toes just touch the floor.
When the dog starts moving its back legs, lower the position about 1/2 inch
 so that the pads can reach the floor, and use the cart any time the dog is
 walking. This will help strengthen the back legs, while giving the spine
time to  rest and recover.

Feel free to contact me at _rkbeard at aol.com_ (mailto:rkbeard at aol.com)  if
you would like more  information.  Please put "back leg problem" in the
subject so I will know  it is not spam.

Kathryn Beard