[Dailydrool] From Dawn Smith re: Synthia Ross

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Tue Jun 10 06:10:59 PDT 2014

This may be one of the hardest memorials I have had to write.

It is with both great sadness,as well as mixed emotions, that I have to
post: Synthia J. Stebbins Ross has passed to the Rainbow Bridge today
6/9/14.

As many know, Synthia had a love of the hounds and all creatures so great
that she commonly took in the critical cases. Many will remember Doheny,
Fred, Pearl, Willy, Cristal, Rowan, Tucker, Kahuna, Zuma, Charm and Sampson.
Thus it was with shock, that on June 1st, during a visit here to Daphneyland
for our event, Synthia told me she was going shopping and left.  Hours later
I found her owner surrender note. I immediately sprang into action and
notified the Sheriff's Department being concerned for her well being.  Hours
upon hours of interviews and reports transpired and a unit found her at her
home in Nevada. The law enforcement's hands were tied, and they had to close
the file.  I remained active and contacted as many entities and
organizations as I could in attempting to get wellness checks and some help
to her.  FB friends that emailed in on our posting of her hounds know that
we had a large web working in attempting to make contact with her.

Today at 2 p.m. I received her final note. I immediately called her local
law enforcement, her work and waited to hear the news.  Her final note was
time stamped 12:01 p.m. today, the time she was due to show up for work.
She never made it.

In rescue we deal with many types of crisis and often times they hit us one
after another.  Despite my feelings of anger with Synthia over her inability
to talk with any of us about her depression and thoughts, I am also so
saddened that a woman who was hard to know, that I talked into living here
for over a year while we helped her through her last crisis, who was so
intelligent and caring, and one whom I considered a dear friend - could cut
off communication and not respond to any offers of help whatsoever.  She
clearly did not want to remain here on this earth.

I hope Synthia is at peace.  I hope her forever after will be as she
intended.

I will leave you now with her final words to me.....

"I'm sorry you have been so sad. I am just out of time and couldn't delay. I
just couldn't make it work here. Maybe St. Francis will let me help him and
I can do some good from there.

All my love to you and Kahuna, Zuma, Tucker, Sampson, and Charm and I hope
they have nothing but happiness and love from here on out."

May your forever be happy Synthia - I love you and will miss you.

Dawn of the West

Basset Rescue Network at Daphneyland

 <http://www.daphneyland.com> www.daphneyland.com

 <http://www.facebook.com/daphneyland> www.facebook.com/daphneyland

661 269-2682

Dawn's dad is having the first of three heart surgeries today.   While Dawn
is dealing with her Dad's surgery, I will be handling the Facebook page and
dog issues from 2000 miles away. PLEASE give Dawn some time to deal with her
Dad and his surgery and do not call her or email her. She does not need to
return to a nickzillion messages and emails that she needs to respond to.
Dawn is a strong woman and she is okay. Of course, she is hurting from the
loss of two friends in less than 10 days. Crisis management is her everyday
life and this is a difficult extra burden, so we all need to try to lighten
her load a bit. Any questions or serious offers of help can be sent to me at
sandi at daphneylad.com.

Sandi Wittenberg

Red Bay Bassets