[Dailydrool] Down in the Rear

Mary Lee mltrnka at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 10 09:36:17 PDT 2014

As you all may remember, we decided to let our precious Philby go earlier this year after he went down in the rear the second time in less than two months.
There was a big difference in the situations.  The first time he went down, his demeanor was still very good.  He didn't seem to be in a lot of pain once he was on meds.  We talked to our vet, and began lasar treatments.  I think the treatments were very effective, and I would recommend them for anyone who is in this situation.  We were aware at that time how bad his back actually was - x-rays showed deterioration and calcification all along his spine from his ribcage to his tail.
Just when he seemed mostly recovered, he went down again.  I got the vet over to look at him within a couple hours.  We started up the meds immediately.  The vet gave him a strong muscle relaxer injection, and he slept for the better part of 12 hours.  When he woke up, he was not himself.  He refused to move, which did not happen the first time.  He seemed to be in a lot of pain.  I tried to give him meds wrapped in a piece of bread and he just held it in his mouth.  He did not even have enough fight left to spit it out.  It was so sad to watch him so unhappy.
For us, that was the big difference - Philby really seemed so unhappy and unwilling to fight any more.  We had spent the morning loving on him, and had him put down that afternoon.  If he had shown any sign of wanting to fight, we might have made a different decision.
People have been talking about heart-dogs - Philby was my heart-dog.  I have not felt the same sense of loss for any other dog.  I am only beginning to be able to consider getting another one.  When we do, I'm sure we will pick a rescue.  It's just not time yet.\
Mary Lee