[Dailydrool] Heart Dog

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 11:48:02 PDT 2014

I've loved all of my dogs, but the one that was "my" dog, was Cysco, a
Golden.  We  had 2 litter mates, Cysco and Ebert..  One, the Alpha and the
other one, the wanna be alpha.  They had their share of tiffs.  Cysco was
the wanna be, yet he outweighed Ebert by 25 lbs.  His head was huge and he
looked like a blond Saint Bernard.  Cysco followed me everywhere.  Ebert
died just before their 12th birthday.  Cysco had always been a bit
aggressive around other dogs, but was clearly lonely.  After much research
and discussion we had decided that our next dog would be a basset.  So, we
brought 11 week old Miss MacKenzie home.  They met for the first time,
outside.  Cysco adored her.  I have wonderful pictures of this huge golden
and this basset puppy with her barking her head off at him.  We were then
afraid that he might not be with us long, so we got another basset,
Gallagher (MacKenzie's first cousin).  The three of them were snuggle pals.
 Nearing his 15th birthday, Gallagher was Cysco's best friend.  The night
we made the decision to let him go to the bridge, Gallagher slept snuggled
next to Cysco.  To this day, every time Gallagher sees an older Golden
Retriever, his tail wags like crazy.  The other 3 bassets aren't looking
while I type, so I'll confess that Gallagher is now my heart dog, my "honey
bunny".  I miss Cysco, but I still have his best friend.