[Dailydrool] It was time.

Tim Mayer tcm541 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 17:38:15 PDT 2014

Leia's x-ray this morning showed a little improvement, but only compared to
yesterday. Really, compared to Saturday's it actually wasn't getting better,
just going back and forth. She was on more pain meds, and still was
uncomfortable.

When I went to visit her tonight, she was standing up but only to get a
drink of water. She saw me, went back to the water, and didn't wag her tail
or act like she was happy to see me. I had a piece of hot, fresh grilled
chicken, and she totally ignored it; even when I pushed some in her mouth
she just dropped it out. This is the girl who would practically climb into
my lap when I had grilled chicken or fish for dinner. I stayed with her for
nearly an hour and she was weak, indifferent and distant.

I talked with the vet a long time. Even if she was getting over this current
condition, she probably was facing months of difficult times. Treatment for
cancer would be very hard on her. Honestly, if there had been any
improvement over the last couple days I might have felt differently. But the
pain and emptiness I saw in her wasn't going away.

It was time. I had to let her go. She's now off chasing Maggie d'Earest
somewhere. I'm sure Maggie has introduced her to Beethoven, and they're
frolicking and telling stories of the trouble they all got into living in my
crazy basset-infested home. Someday Dexter will join them (and boy, does he
have stories to share) but I sure hope it isn't for many, many years.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. The love and concern shown by
all is a great help in dealing with the sorrow.

Tim and only one rather lonely puppy.