[Dailydrool] Update on Dozer

Sandi Scranton njmedic702 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 13:22:53 PDT 2014

While he remains in good spirits and continues to eat and drink well and
motor about the back yard, sniffing out the scents of the bears and other
creatures that insist upon crossing through there en route to the garbage
cans occasionally, we have seen evidence of mast cell tumor regrowth in the
area of his surgical incision.

Right now he is taking mega doses of a high-quality immune system enhancing
supplement with meals, Norwegian Cod Liver oil, Greek yogurt with dinner
and pumpkin with breakfast, a high-quality high protein food, and no
carb-filled or sugary snacks or treats. We are also adding a diluted
solution of35% hydrogen peroxide to his meals as well.  I am awaiting the
arrival of some MMS which I heard works well on some canine tumors and have
discussed Neoplasene (black salve) treatment with our vet at Dozer's
check-up yesterday.  The affected area is too large for injectable
treatment with this but there is an oral option we are looking into.
 Yesterday the vet recommended 75 mgs. of Benadryl every eight hours to
help control the histamine release caused by the tumor.  If anyone has any
other suggestions we'd be open to hearing them.

Last night he was panting and restless until about 4:00 am when the second
dose of Benadryl finally kicked in. He just couldn't seem to settle down so
he and I went to the couch in the living room where we enjoy cuddling and I
hoisted his heavy heiney onto the cushion at my feet and  stroked him until
he finally fell asleep.  He stayed there until about 6:30 am when he
demanded breakfast. The panting and restlessness are gone and he has slept
on and off most of the day today.

I know that, barring a miracle from one of the holistic treatment options,
he will eventually lose the quality of life he deserves and we will be
facing the decision no on wants to make.  In the interim, we're enjoying
his company, spoiling him and doing what we can to forestall his departure.
I know he'll let me know when that time comes.  We would welcome all the
good thoughts, prayers and healing drool you can spare.

Know that I share the pain of all the recent losses of both hound and human
lately.  Hugs and heart-healing drool to those who need it.

Sandi, Mamaslave to Delilah and Dozer of NJ