[Dailydrool] the new guy Augie

Onslow Basset onslowbasset at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 17:50:39 PDT 2014

So many of you will remember that we had to put Onslow to sleep due to advanced stage cancer back in February. Much grief.  After about three months, we decided a new fella would help us heal and we talked to many great breeders and lovers of the breed. We ended up connecting with Deerhill Bassets in Corydon, IN and met their 1.5 year old red and white... and promptly fell in love. He will have been with us a month come this monday 6/24.

This guy - we call him Augie - is so very different from Onslow. We need some advice so Basset Experts, lend me your ears...

- housebreaking... even after just going out and peeing, he will pee in the house. And look pretty guilty about it. I think he understands that we're not happy about him doing that but just can't help it? My husband works from home so he's able to interact with him and take him out every few hours. But he still has 'accidents'.... why?

- digging at the carpet... there is one place in particular where he will dig at the carpet repeatedly (think raking shag carpet back in the day) and then he will settle down in that area for a nap. Is this just canine behavior? Why doesn't he do it anywhere else? just this one spot?

- refusing to acknowledge the meaning of the phrase "No -Down!" and stay off the furniture ... I'm pretty sure he understands what we're saying or at least that we're not happy.  He just doesn't want to obey. He constantly wants to get up on the couch or the chair (my spot and Brian's spot respectively). We'll tell him "No - Down!" and drag him off the furniture in question. With the couch, we can gesture him down and he will sometimes get down on his own. But two minutes later he's up there again... an 2 minutes later... and 2 minutes later... try 6 times in a row!  Now he's never lived in a house before - it's not like he used to lounge on his own lazyboy - he lived with a lot of other bassets in breeder/kennel environment.

So .... please send me your observations, questions, advice, comments, etc.  Oh yeah, otherwise he is utterly adorable and sweet and silly.

thanks!

Sue & Brian Stevens