[Dailydrool] Thirsty sloppy news

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Fri Jun 20 16:32:02 PDT 2014

Thanks to all who responded about the thirsty and extra-sloppy drinker.
Some thought Cushings, another considered swallowing difficult. Appears
to be the latter. Below is what owner's vet diagnosed. Interesting.
Riche

I took Douglas to the vet today.

As expected the urine test came back clean.

The vet, an older guy, discounted the Cushings when I told him he's not
whizzing any more than usual and none of the other symptoms are apparent.

He took one look at Douglas face and asked how long his right eyelid has
been a bit droopier than the left.

I said maybe 6 months...but I didn't think much of it, after all, he's a
12 year old basset, they're supposed to droop. Lord knows, my face
droops a bit more than it used to.

He then took his head in his hands and tested the dog's peripheral
vision... and touch. When he touched Douglas' left side of his face, his
left eye blinked. When he did the right, almost nothing. He also said
his right jowl/dewlap seemed lower. He asked if his bark and changed and
I said yes, this year he didn't win the best howl competition at the
local Basset Rescue event after winning it for the last three years.

He also noted more than usual gunk in his right eye, looks like typical
summer allergy stuff.

His diagnosis...Horner's Syndrome.

In short, he can't move his tongue and lips as well, so it takes him
longer to drink...he's not drinking any more, just spilling half of what
he gets.

He said it's something like Bell's Palsy.  A hand-out on the illness
which he gave us states there is no known cause. It says it can be
caused by tumors or disc disease...no signs of that in Douglas, he's
trim and can still get on the bed...or perhaps damage to neck caused by
a dog bite or trauma (none there).  Middle or inner ear disease may also
cause it..he does have an history of the usual ear infections which
drops clear up almost immediately.

He gave us a week's worth of Prednisone and wants to see him next week.
He says there is a good chance he'll recover, if not fully at least some
of the loss.