[Dailydrool] The new guy, Augie

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at optimum.net
Sun Jun 22 06:54:23 PDT 2014

Housebreaking an older dog is the same as doing it for a puppy:
repetition, repetition, repetition. The only difference is that an older
hound should be able to hold it longer. You will need persistence and
consistency to get the job done.

But the first place I'd start, especially since you're talking a dog who
has obviously been kept outside, is with a vet visit, to make sure
there's nothing healthwise that's causing trouble. UTIs are rarer in
males, but they do happen. And lots of other problems cause peeing. A
vet's office is the place to start.

The experts tell you not to yell at the hound during potty training.
Wish I were better at keeping my mouth shut, but it's true that yelling
really doesn't help. What may help is praise and giving treats for good
behavior (peeing outside). At least one study showed that food is more
effective than praise, so I'd probably use both. You can also hang some
bells on the door, so your hound can ring for service. The down side to
that, of course, is that you may hear a lot of ringing. Be consistent in
ringing the doggy doorbell before you go out with Augie, and he may pick
up on it. Our Jane did so within one day, but perhaps I was not
consistent enough with my other dogs, or perhaps they were not as smart
as Jane, since they never got the message--which may actually have been
a blessing in disguise.

I also find it helpful to tune in on the dog's natural schedule. Horton,
the last of our dogs to get training, likes to go out immediately when I
get up--he'll even wake me sometimes. Since I work from home, I take him
out about every two hours in the morning. But afternoons don't require
as much "outness." See what times your hound naturally needs to go out,
and cater to them as much as possible. Also, listen to Augie's requests.
Some dogs will quietly let you know they need to go out--our Holly
simply comes up to you. Others, like Horton, will pester you, jumping up
or barking. Do not discourage that, since it's the only way he knows how
to let you know what he needs. If you watch carefully, you may find that
Augie has tried to let you know, but you have been missing the signals.

You have not had Augie all that long, since you've had him just short of
a month. When dogs are rehomed, it takes a while for them to settle in
and feel confident. Often the pottying thing is related to that, and as
he feels more at home, Augie may improve. I would still do all the
things I suggested above, because Waiting for him to feel comfy and not
training could land you in a more difficult situation. And the training
may actually help his confidence. Dogs take varying times to settle in.
I believe that they only fully settle in a year (though they usually are
doing extremely well before that), but some take longer, and if you have
a major change in your home or have a dog who has had a tough life
before you got him, that may extend the process. I know he was with his
breeder for at least part of that time, but perhaps he had been adopted
and returned, or perhaps his life with the breeder was not as ideal as
we'd all like to think.

As to training for down, I think that's a tough one--furniture is very
comfortable, and your hound knows that. You will have to give Augie
positive reinforcement, not just a command, and the treat you offer him
to get down will have to be a very special one--perhaps a treat you only
use for that situation. You need to give Augie something that he thinks
is better than being on the couch.

Just like people, dogs don't appreciate negative reinforcement, but you
can get them to do a lot more for great treats. It's like the old adage
about catching more flies with honey than vinegar. Having said all that,
I like my hounds on the furniture, so I don't bother trying to change
that. I would also suggest that you get a really cushy dog bed for
Augie, which should help him with the transition. I would put it in the
same room where his favorite furniture is. But in the heat of summer,
it's possible that he'll want to be cool, not cushy, and will opt for
the floor instead.

As for the question about digging at the carpet, some dogs will try to
"make their bed" before they lie down. This sounds like such behavior,
and I don't know if there's much you can do to change it. Maybe someone
else has advice there.

Above all, remember that at one and a half, Augie is still a puppy--an
older puppy, but a puppy all the same. If you are consistent and
persistent, by the time he hits three he will be a well-trained adult.
But be patient. Remember that you are dealing with a teenager, not an
adult. Keep your eye on the kind of dog you want him to be, and with
patience you will get there.

Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets