[Dailydrool] Toffee update

CenturyLink Customer oakrydgebh at q.com
Sun Jun 22 08:15:54 PDT 2014

Toffee had surgery on Thursday to remove another large  ugly melanoma and a  lymph node from her neck where all that loose skin folds are . It was marble sized when she had the first one removed from inside her mouth just

a little over three months ago. I noticed that it  was growing about a month ago then suddenly it was getting noticeably larger daily causing her to gag a bit and trying to clear her throat especially after eating or drinking.  I called her vet (yes, she has her very own personal vet). Dr. Betsy just adores Toffee Sue (as she affectionately calls her). The surgery went well and the huge ugly thing was removed along with the lymph node. She also had another smaller one removed from inside her mouth that had started growing again. I was told it would probably return even though it was completely removed. They usually do and that her lymph nodes were already involved then . It is melanoma and will likely be the reason she leaves us, Toffee is 13 yrs, old and has been a very healthy dog all of her life. Sweetest girl in the whole wide world. Her v et keeps saying "It's   an o ld dog thing". I'm not sure I agree with that. I'm  sure how well I'll be able to handle losing another heart dog.

Toffee has a lot of stitches and a drain below the surgery sight under her neck. The problem is that all the folds in the loose skin are getting soaked with the fluid draining and she smells yucky no matter how often I clean the area with warm water as instructed. I talked to her vet yesterday and asked if I could wash her chest area as long as I thoroughly dried the area afterward and was told not until the stitches were out. I'm hoping some of you who have gone through something similar have some suggestions. The fluid is draining well but clinging to her and is very smelly. The drain will be there for 5 to 7 days because there is such a large pocket where the huge lump was. Her front feet were coated this morning and she was licking them to clean it off. She is eating and drinking well her tail is wagging again this morning so I know she feels better today. But the smell is awful. There's no sign of infection. There's  just a lot of drainage. She looked so pathetic yesterday but after a change in her m eds she's doing lots better.

This is getting a bit long but I do want to welcome the new pups that have forever homes now and send drool to all those going through the loss of loved ones or dealing with health issues. To "Reggie's" Dad person, he's adorable and looks very much a puppy to me. Thanks for shar ing your lovely tribute to Leia Round. I know how much you are missing her and hope you know she misses you too.

More later. I have a story to tell about the Tuckerman.

Jacqie Marvich and the Lowdownhounds of Oakrydge + Megan the Talldog