[Dailydrool] I'm discouraged

Sabrina brii at sprynet.com
Mon Jun 23 16:59:17 PDT 2014

In February, we adopted Gumbo. He's 5 years old and very allergic. He
was on antibiotics, ear meds, and prednisone. He had a bloody,
infected foot from chewing it; an ear infection; and his skin was
actually warm to the touch. It took two rounds of meds for his
allergies to calm down and his foot to heal. I took him to my vet for
a checkup, and my vet sold me on Apoquel. He actually marked up a
white board and pointed out the advantages over all the other
options. It sounded like he repeated the pitch from pharmaceutical
rep, but it worked. Gumbo is on a limited ingredient diet, and we've
been giving him Apoquel and an antifugal called Ketoconazole for
several months. He's been doing great. Last week, I phoned to pick up
another month's supply of both pills and was told that Apoquel was on
backorder with no known available date; so I broke Gumbo's pills in
half. When I had just a few left, I gave him a half every other day.
It's been less than a week, and he's starting to chew on his foot
again. Today, I called to request more Ketoconazole; I was told there
had been a price increase - it was 70 cents a pill last month; the
manufacturer is now charging $2.80 a pill - four times what it cost
last month. Gumbo was taking them twice a day, so a month's supply
was $168. I looked for Apoquel on line, but it's on backorder. Is
anyone able to get it?

Sabrina, Gumbo and Ellie