[Dailydrool] Games

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 18:19:30 PST 2014

One of the things I spent money on at the IKC show was one of those
interactive dog games. I got the simplest one.
You put a treat in bone-shaped hole in a round carousel type thing and let
the dog get it. You do that several times and then put a bone-shaped cover
over it. Theoretically the dog learns to push the bone cover aside and get
the treat.

So okay we try it with Nigel, since he is perpetually hungry and also kind
of a captive audience. I put a piece of string cheese in the hole and give
it to him. He has trouble getting it out of the hole because the carousel
is plastic and now the cheese is slippery and so is the plastic. He gets it
anyway. He does this a few times and I figure that he is ready for me to
cover it up. So I put the plastic bone cover over the treat which he has
seen me put in there.

He stares at it.
He stares at me.
He puts his nose down and my heart goes pitty pat-- he is going to do it!
and then he stares at me again, gives me one of those filthy looks only a
Basset can do right, and turns his head away.

He won't even look at it.

I take the treat out and hand it to him and he drops it on the bed. Then he
curls up with his back to me and goes to sleep.

Whoever invented this never tried it on a Basset.

MomPerson to Nigel (I'm not playing this stupid game.) Llewis, Conley and
Doc