[Dailydrool] Peggy Sue

Marilyn Burns mj_burns at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 12 11:47:19 PDT 2014

Things seemed to be quieting down a bit with the new gurlz - but on Saturday
evening - all Hell broke loose!  Since then the house had been like the
Ukraine!

We have loved and cared for basset hounds for over 20 years and other dogs
before that.  We pride ourselves in giving them the best possible home that
we can and spoiling them rotten.  In turn - they give us laughter, joy, and
companionship.    This pair was just NOT working and it was destroying this
house emotionally!

We were not expecting perfection - but things were MUCH WORSE NOW than they
were when we started!  I can assure you this was not a simple minor setback!
We had sought out suggestions - and tried several.  But we will NOT turn
this house into a prison camp -- that is NOT how we interact with our "kids"
and it is really not fair to Thelma Lou either!!

Early Monday morning - after yet another fight - we made the very painful -
yet necessary - decision to return Peggy Sue to BHRG.

I had remained in close contact with her previous foster-dad, Stephen - and
he and his wife were willing to take her back.  But, his schedule would not
allow him to pick her up until Friday - as he lives about 80 miles away.
BHRG gave me the option of taking her to a boarding kennel until Friday.
To save Stephen the time and expense of driving to pick her up - to save
BHRG any boarding charges - and most importantly - to save Peggy Sue from
spending 3 days in a veterinary boarding kennel - I coordinated driving her
down to him yesterday afternoon.

Fred and I were so very broken and distraught about the very painful
decision we made -- UNTIL I was fortunate enough to witness her reaction to
being back with Stephen and his other 3 dogs yesterday!!    I swear - I
could NEVER have asked or written a better ending!!!

As soon as she recognized Stephen and where she was at - which was
immediately -  she was in pure heaven!  When she was reunited with the
"clan" - they ran - they played - they barked - they tussled - AND started
all over again....  She HAS to be hoarse today!!  I literally felt guilty by
not doing this sooner!

Since yesterday evening, Thelma Lou has been a completely different girl as
well!  She is far more energetic, relaxed, and playful.

Peggy Sue, Thelma Lou, and our household were just a total mis-match!   The
house was just too tame for her!  With a retired Mommy with various
responsibilities - a Daddy that works and travels during the week - no
kids - no grandkids - and a senior sister that doesn't care to play all
day - she was becoming increasingly bored and unhappy!

We truly loved Peggy Sue and she will ALWAYS remain in our hearts!   I would
have loved for it to work -- but I also now see why it didn't and probably
never would...

Marilyn - loving Mom of Thelma Lou and Bridgemates Samantha Sue, Amanda Lynn
and Bob Burns.

---