[Dailydrool] Rocky 3/27/2000 - 3/15/2014 - ATB

bassethound dawg bassethoundawg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 21:00:53 PDT 2014

You may remember the following story that our Wonderful Debbie wrote about
Rocky - he was always my hero:

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 20:28:06 -0500 (EST)
From: basetsavr5 at aol.com
To: dailydrool at dailydrool.org
Subject: [Dailydrool] A True HERO walks among us!!!!

Momma here. I have a wonderful story to share with everyone tonight. I have
permission to tell the world of a true basset hero!!
Meet Rocky basset hound-- the hero. Rocky is the constant companion to
Sammie, a drooler out of Colorado that I correspond with. Sammie like all
of us Droolers, is very passionate about Rocky, and dare I say he might be
a tad spoiled-----
Here is what happened. Sammie has night time sleeping machines, Rocky has
no problem with this, he is used to the patterns of the machine, he simply
curls up next to Sammie and in true basset fashion and snores away. Last
week there was a problem. Sammie stopped breathing, the warning beeping of
the machine did not wake her, but Rocky must of known something was
drastically wrong. Rocky got in Sammie's face, snooter smaking Sammie,
hopping around on the bed, not stopping until Sammie somehow came to.
Sammie said she had a hard time waking, the machine was going nuts, but
Rocky was not giving up until his master was breathing, had her eyes opened
and she was moving. Back and forth he paced on the bed---
If not for Rocky, well I shudder to think.
We all know how special a basset is, but Rocky is a hero, special not only
because he is a basset, but he saved Sammie's life.
I say we give a big 4 paws up to Rocky!!!
And if you would like to give Rocky a woo hoo shout off list, you can find
Sammie and Rocky at bassethoundawg at gmail.com
Rocky, the Beach Gang salutes you---a hero in basset paws!

Debbie Winchester
PW, OEBE Elder Clara,
Elder Sister Daisy, Brudder Jake

We could not allow Rocky to continue to suffer with the very enlarged
prostate.  Even doubling the strong pain meds did NOT allow him any degree
of comfort.  He no longer had quality life.  It was the right thing to do,
and so very difficult

We were the vet's office waiting for him when he arrived  Rocky made his
journey to the bridge around 7:00 AM.  Saturday morning (3/15/2014).

I keep looking for him.  He was always at my side, under my feet and often
in the way - sure miss that company.  House is too quiet.  This is just
plain hard.  Even if we get another dog, it will not be Rocky, like all
animals he was unique as well as my best friend and constant companion.  So
lonely with out my best buddy.

Looking back, we should have let him go on Friday, but held out hope that
more pain meds would make him comfortable - he must have felt some better
after the first double dose, because  we lost him a while after giving him
the pain meds around 6 PM.  We both went out and looked for him
w/flashlights, could not find him, he had been spending a lot of time
outside.  Finally found him upstairs, in my office, on his favorite bed,
under the typewriter table.

He was pretty much unresponsive by the time we met the vet before 7 AM this
morning.  He did not have a high tolerance for pain, and this must have
been so horrible for him to endure.  Thankfully he is free of pain now.  I
hope running free of any pain at the Rainbow Bridge, playing with all the
other Basset Hounds... that is more comforting than remembering looking at
him hunched up in pain, attempting to creep around to move and attempt to
find some degree of comfort - that was so very hard for him and us to
watch...

We are trying to focus on what a wonderful friend we had for almost 14
years.   He was always well behaved and a true angle with all of the
Great-Grand Kids, never once nipped any one's fingers - no matter how much
he wanted what was offered.

Thankfully he is no longer hurting - that is about as good a thought as we
can manage at present

SammieJo, owned by Rocky of Colorado
bassethoundawg at gmail.com   or   sammiecourdin at gmail.com