[Dailydrool] Jersey

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 12:14:25 PDT 2014

I haven't sent in an update on Jersey lately mainly because I don't
have anything positive to say. We thought we were going to lose her a
week ago today but got things stabilized and have actually had a
pretty good week since then till last night (she started vomiting
again last night). Her liver enzymes continue to go higher even though
the liver biopsy just shows inflammation, no malignancy. We have the
vomiting sort of under control as long as I give her the liquid
Simethacone after she eats a little so she doesn't get so gassy. Our
vet has been wonderful and is terribly frustrated not to be able to
pinpoint exactly what is going on but we're all on the same page and
he knows that we'll continue on as long as we can keep Jersey stable
and comfortable. So we're looking at each day with our girl as a gift
and will enjoy every minute with her that we can. Hope springs eternal
and we continue to hope that things will turn around for our precious
girl.

I've been kind of watching our other three Houndettes as Jersey
declines. They have been very careful around her and no one has
challenged her so she is still maintaining her role as the top
Houndette. The other three seem to be challenging each other though.
It seems like we have at least one serious fight here every spring and
there have been a couple of altercations between the other Houndettes
recently but it appears that Shadow has Suzy and Ginger firmly in
hand. She is a little older than the other two but is the smallest
Houndette of our pack. Shadow is at least twenty pounds smaller than
Ginger and she and Ginger got into it yesterday. I've been able to let
them work things out so far and haven't had to intervene when they've
snarked at each other and Shadow didn't hesitate to tell Ginger
exactly how thing were going to be! I've been a little worried that
Ginger might take over as top dog here and that would be a disaster
but it doesn't look like I'm going to have to worry about it. We'll
see.

Bev, I'm old fashioned enough to be wary when someone is vague about
the cost of something and can't give me a straight answer about
expenses....at least a ball park estimate. I imagine getting Nigel
worked up for his seizures is probably necessary but I think I might
hunt around for a different provider. These folks are supposed to be
the experts and this is what they do so it only makes sense that they
should be able to ball park the cost for you. I guess I'm reluctant to
walk into something with my eyes wide shut if you know what I mean.

I haven't been as attentive to the DD lately as I normally am so I'm
sending my heartfelt condolences to all of you who have lost a beloved
hound recently and the Houndettes are slinging lots of get well drool
to all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger