[Dailydrool] cost - key learning

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 18 13:57:38 PDT 2014

Hi all, Dale here,

This is basset related because of the challenge Bev faces with Nigel's medical costs.

Recently I walked into a fancy shop in the mall which sells purses.  I really liked a purse on display and asked to see it.  I had recently gotten a bonus and was deciding what to reward myself with.  Well, there were no prices anywhere in the shop.  No signs.  No price tags.  The purse could have been $10 (I wish) or $10,000 and I had no idea.  I felt so awkward, I wanted to buy the purse, I really wanted it, but I just didn't know what it cost and didn't want to seem .... I don't know ..... anyway at this point a lovely Japanese couple entered the shop.  The woman was soft spoken and polite .... and she had such confidence.  She asked to see a purse and after she inspected it she turned and looked at me.  Immediately she saw my struggle, she smiled, winked and turned to the sales clerk, looked her dead in the eye, smiled and said "how much is that bag she's holding?  and how much is this one?"  Just like that.  The clerk whispered the
 prices of both bags as though it were some sort of secret and the Japanese lady just kept on smiling.

She had such class and such grace and I have to agree that it is perfectly reasonable to expect to know the cost of something before you order it and people who act as though that isn't normally asked need to be politely reminded that IS what we OUGHT to expect.

Best,
Dale