[Dailydrool] Rosie ATB

lea pierce leapierce at leapierce.com
Thu Mar 27 14:04:50 PDT 2014

Carol, we're so sorry that Rosie has gone to the
ridge...
 it is never easy, and it came out of the blue, emotionally, for you.
That's one reason why bloat (complicated by the tumor) is so shocking; it
is instant and crisis and we are presented with a terrible decision that
has to be made without a chance to catch our breath. And it is excruciating
when our hound is in distress.

My first basset, Percy, died of bloat, only he got out under a shed,
hidden, and I did not find him until the next day. I thought he'd somehow
gotten through a solid fence (bassets being wiley and all). It was
horrible. He was such a good-natured, funny hound-boy, and all of the
fosters and forever hounds I've had can't match him. I share your heartache.

Putting a dog down is never an easy decision, but when done by someone like
those on the Drool--we who adore our hounds and will do anything to help
them--I am sure it is always the correct decision.

As time goes by, my prayer for you is that you feel Rosie right by your
side, all the time. They never truly leave us.

Rosie is at the Big Basset Buffet at the Bridge; we shall look for her
bright, shining spirit when our Tour of Duty is over. We have so many, many
hounds & humans to look forward to being with. I am sure that Debbie had a
Big Basset Belly Rub for Rosie when she snuffled across the Bridge into the
sunlight. And an infinity of belly rubs and treats to come.

Rosie will be waiting for you, of that I am sure.

Lea Pierce
& the Bridge Crew of HMS Santa Rosa.